Saturday, April 22, 2006

Mandriva 2006, Fedora 5 and Suse10

I have a wireless card I am trying to get up. It is a MIMO PCI card made. Model AWH5025. Since the WiFi card has no Linux driver ndiswrapper will have to be used.

My success with ndiswrapper has been mixed. I once got a different card working on SUSE 9.3. I followed a set of published instructions but they did not get the WiFi conenction working. One day I did a SUSE check for new programs/upgraded. I then rebooted and WOW wifi worked. Unfortunately I never knew what changed to fix my issue.

I tried the AWH5025 card with Fedora 5 but was nver able to ger ndiswrapper to work. Now I am trying with Mandriva 2006. During installation I found a menu that said to load ndiswrapper. I assume that went well. In uisng the Mandriva wifi setup I was able to laod the RT61.inf file and set the ESSID and WEP password. The WIFI card is indicated as being set up as wlaon0 but it doesn't work. The "green" light on the PCI card frame does light up a solid green so I guees I am getting power.

Dead in the water so far. Numerous google searches have brought up conflicting ndiswrapper info and the need , or not, to reocmpile the kernel.

I am very impressed with the value in the Linux packages but the WIFI support is still awful.

No comments:

Contributors

Powered By Blogger